Fushiebridge gorebridge dating

Gorebridge, Midlothian | Property for Sale | ESPC

fushiebridge gorebridge dating

Names and dates. Gorebridge () Gorebridge (). Opened on the Formerly the next station south was Fushiebridge. The line is supported and. Catcune Mill stands in beautiful gardens surrounded by open countryside in the peaceful hamlet of Fushiebridge yet is still only a short drive. View property for sale in Gorebridge, Midlothian. ESPC is where homes are listed first. Find your next property with ESPC, your local property experts.

EPC C A flour mill was established at Catcune in and this had grown to become a substantial operation by the mid 19th century.

fushiebridge gorebridge dating

The mill finally closed in with the older mill buildings being subsequently converted to residential use. Catcune Mill is one such building sympathetically restored in it now provides very comfortable and exceptionally spacious over sq ft family accommodation. There is an open plan kitchen with adjoining dining and sitting areas which again has a wood burning stove.

The bespoke kitchen includes an extensive range of wall and base units, a range style cooker, built in fridge freezer, wine cooler and breakfast bar. The generous quartz peninsula houses the sink, dishwasher, microwave and additional storage.

Also on this level is the master bedroom with ensuite bathroom, three further bedrooms and a family bathroom. On the ground floor there is an entrance hall, study, music room, 2 games rooms, utility room, sauna, two further bedrooms both with ensuite shower rooms.


There is an integral garage. The house stands in beautifully maintained gardens which include a gravel drive and parking area, substantial lawns and a pond with adjoining summer house.

The stations at Cairney, Sheriffhall and Lasswade Road were not reopened. Construction of the extension to Hawick was rapid, opening in stages as the line forged its way south. Gorebridge opened on 14 July and by 20 February it had reached Galashiels, finally arriving at Hawick, where a terminus was opened on 1 November By this date there was considerable rivalry between railway companies, and this soon turned into acrimony, with opposing plans to extend south into England.

Matters dragged slowly on, with meetings in Hawick of many of the manufacturers who felt the need for a railway to the south. No substantial progress was made until when a survey was made of the Liddesdale route. To the astonishment of many inhabitants, the claims of the Langholm line were approved and those of the Liddesdale scheme rejected. So indignant were the supporters of the Liddesdale railway that a meeting outside the Town Hall in Hawick attracted some sixteen hundred people expressing the view that the decision was totally against the wishes of the people of the south of Scotland.

An appeal was taken to the House of Lords which resulted in the Langholm Bill being thrown out. Langholm had come close to having a through line to Hawick, worked by the Caledonian Railway Company, but it had to be content with a branch line from the Liddesdale route. Within six weeks construction was underway at Hawick with intense interest from the townsfolk.

The first sod was cut on 7 Septemberand the day was declared a public holiday in the town with special trains bringing visitors from the north. As the railhead progressed south sightseeing tours were arranged from the town to view the construction. In order to accommodate the extension the original terminus at Hawick was closed becoming the town's goods station and a new through station was built on a new alignment to the south, taking the line on a viaduct high above the River Teviot.

Beyond Hawick the line passed through difficult terrain requiring heavy engineering works, with steep gradients and viaducts notably the magnificent arch structure near Shankend before reaching the yd summit tunnel at Whitrope, ft above sea level. South of Hawick a deviation from the original route took the line close to Stobs Castle in the hope that a station there might generate passenger revenue in the future, despite a tiny local population.

In fact many of the new stations did not serve any sizeable communities; it was hoped that that these stations would attract traffic from the surrounding farms giving them the opportunity to send their produce to market. Two miles south of the summit in the 'middle of nowhere' the NBR built what was to become one of the most famous junction stations in Britain in the heart of the Lees Bog. At Riccarton, the line made a junction with the Border Counties line extension running through Reedsmouth and Bellingham to the Tyne Valley line at Hexham.

Initially Sunday worshippers used the engine shed, then the waiting room, a minister walking from Saughtree on the Border Counties line to officiate at the services. Eventually church trains were provided to take worshippers to Newcastleton and Hawick on alternate Sundays. As the Borders Counties line was already open, Riccarton opened early, before all the railway facilities were completed.

The line continued south through open country before reaching Newcastleton, the first community of any size since leaving Hawick, 21 miles to the north.

Gorebridge Golf Club: Formation and First Year

Three miles further south the line crossed into England at Kershopefoot. A further six miles south was Canobie Junction later to become Riddings Junctionthe junction for the Langholm branch which opened to Canobie later called Canonbie in Mayand to Langholm on 14 April The only other major settlement on the route was Longtown.

The new line opened in four stages, with goods traffic running between Canal yard in Carlisle and Scotch Dyke from 15 October and passenger traffic commencing over that section on 30 October.

fushiebridge gorebridge dating

The line from Longtown to Gretna opened on 1 November Finally, the Riccarton to Hawick section opened with through freight trains to Edinburgh, running from 23 Juneand passenger services were introduced on 1 July Although the line had been engineered for double-track only a single track was laid between Riddings and Riccarton, but this had been doubled by Initially traffic over the southern section of the route was very limited, and the board considered selling that part of the line, or - if no buyer was forthcoming - closing it.

The significant gradients and bleak moorland terrain made the Waverley arguably the most difficult line in the UK for steam locomotive crews to work. From Edinburgh Waverley the climb started on the city outskirts, continuing for several miles at 1 in 80, with a moorland summit at Falahill loop. It then descended at a similar rate to the woollen manufacturing towns of Galashiels, Melrose and St Boswells and through the fertile farmland of mid-Tweeddale and Teviotdale before reaching Hawick and ascending for twelve miles at 1 in 80 again through Stobs and Shankend to Whitrope Summit, the highest point on the line amidst desolate moorland.

Following Whitrope Tunnel, the line descended at an unbroken 1 in 75 for over eight miles through Riccarton Junction and Steele Road to Newcastleton. Following this, easier gradients led the route to Carlisle down the valley of Liddell Water and into the plains surrounding the Solway Firth. However the two expresses from London had traditionally run via the Midland Railway's main line.

The expresses were limited-stop, and in the s they covered the mileage from Carlisle to Edinburgh in roughly two-and-a-half hours.

6 bedroom property for sale

Motive power was usually in the form of a Gresley A3 Pacific locomotive, a class unsuited to hill climbing. With large driving wheels and three cylinders they were designed for running long stretches in excess of 80 mph on heavy expresses; however the 'Waverley' express was typically eight coaches in length, and speeds on the Waverley Route were limited to 70 mph, and the many tight curves required more severe speed restrictions.

On the climb from Newcastleton to Whitrope Summit the train would be down to 30 mph by Steele Road, with the locomotive being worked flat out. Other passenger services usually three per day were also worked by A3s, although Thompson B1 s made regular appearances. There was also a daily Gresley A4 diagram between Edinburgh and Carlisle - an overnight fitted freight southbound, returning with the early morning parcels train. Thompson Pacifics appeared later on, just before the line was dieselised, in a drive for efficiency.

In addition there were also several local passenger workings between Galashiels and Edinburgh some via the Peebles loop, which opened in stages between Galashiels and Eskbank between 4 July and 1 October and between Hawick and Carlisle.

These tended to be hauled by B1s. After the end of steam, a variety of diesels worked passenger trains, especially Class 24 and 26 Sulzer-engined diesels, and even Class 17 Claytons on local stoppers.

Long distance loco-hauled trains were often covered by Class 45 Peaks.

  • Gorebridge railway station
  • Gorebridge Golf Club: Formation and First Year
  • Midlothian

DMUs worked the local services between Galashiels and Edinburgh. Freight workings were heavy and frequent, hauled by a multitude of classes. V2s provided service for over 30 years. In the s, once the short-lived marshalling yards at Carlisle Kingmoor and Edinburgh Millerhill were opened, they worked hourly freights through the day and night.

Depending on the maximum speed of the freight working, a Carlisle to Edinburgh freight could take anything from four to seven hours to travel the route. There were also stopping freight trains that worked from Hawick to Edinburgh and Hawick to Carlisle and back, each taking a full day to complete the round trip, stopping to shunt at every station yard.

These tended to be hauled by J39 locomotives, although BR standard class 4 s replaced them later on. One notable working in later years was a daily Halewood Liverpool to Bathgate freight train carrying Ford cars on carflats.

fushiebridge gorebridge dating

Due to the heavy load, the booked motive power was a Gresley V2 and a Stanier Class 5 double-headed, usually with the V2 on the front. At Nationalisation almost the entire Waverley route was given to the Scottish Region, of which 16 miles were within Cumberland England from Kershope Foot to Harker inclusive.

This arrangement still allowed the Langholm branch to be directly connected to the Scottish Region at Riddings Junction. In October British Rail gave notice to close the line from 2 Januarywith closure notices posted at all stations.

fushiebridge gorebridge dating

A brief reprieve was announced, and the situation was on hold pending review; however on 15 July the Minister of Transport, Richard Marsh, gave the final order that the line would close in January A huge public outcry ensued, and there followed a high profile campaign to save the line.

This ultimately was unsuccessful in preventing the closure. In spite of the protests, the line was closed on Monday 6 January The last passenger service on the line and the last train to traverse the entire route was 1M82 Feelings were running high along the route on the final weekend of passenger operations, with protestors evident at most stations. Anticipating the potential trouble, the authorities sent a Clayton 'pilot' engine ahead of 1M82 from Hawick to 'prove' the route south after a set of points at Hawick had been found to be tampered with.

At Newcastleton, the pilot engine found the line was blocked and the level crossing gates locked by protestors. The disturbance led to the arrest of the local minister, and he was released only after David Steel, MP, who was travelling on the sleeper service, negotiated with the police. This caused 1M82 to arrive 2 hours late in Carlisle. On the afternoon of 6 January at Riddings Junction, BR staged a track-lifting 'ceremony' for the press, to split the London Midland and Scottish Regions, demonstrating their determination to close the route.

After the passage of 1M82, the line was formally closed to passengers. The closure of the Waverley Route created a railway desert in the Anglo-Scottish border area. The cluster of Border towns- Hawick, St Boswells, Melrose, Galashiels and Selkirk, closed in was left conspicuously isolated from the railway system, reliant on services at the distant stations of Carlisle, Lockerbie, Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed, and reached by roads of indifferent quality.

Despite its attractive scenery the area was generally bypassed by tourists, and its economy stagnated in the following decades as the traditional textile industries declined. Freight traffic continued until 28 April as far as Hawick with a daily service, mainly of coal traffic from Lady Victoria Pit. The signalling was drastically reduced after passenger closure with 'telephone and notice board' working.

At the southern end of the route the line between Carlisle Kingmoor and Longtown remained open to traffic until 31 August when it was cut back to Brunthill. The section from Carlisle Kingmoor to Brunthill remains open to this day and sees periodic freight traffic.