Pub healey road ossett dating

Beer meets its match on menu - Yorkshire Post

Millers Bar & Restaurant: Great Christmas Set Menu - See traveller reviews, 26 candid photos, and great deals for Ossett, UK, Low Mill Road | Healey Road , Ossett, Wakefield WF5 8LN, England Date of visit: December One such pair of cottages in Haggs Hill Road, Ossett date back possibly to . on the opposite side of Queens Drive near to the Two Brewers pub. .. of Ossett's finest houses is located down Healey Road and dates back to. Unfortunately, this restaurant is not on the OpenTable booking network. If you like .. Low Mill Road Healey Road Ossett, West Yorkshire WF5 8ND. Created.

The couple then went to live at number nine, where John Harrop carried on the market gardening business in his own right. Sadly, Nora died in Novemberand the properties transferred into the ownership of her husband, John Harrop continued to live at number 9 until his death on 20th February As the properties came under new ownership, the large greenhouses behind number seven were demolished and the cottages were significantly modernised for life in the 21st century.

Meanwhile, three generations of the Hanson family were to live at number 7, Haggs Hill Road. Bertram Owen Hanson, born inmarried Beatrice Lucas in Shortly after their marriage in Wakefield, the newly married couple moved into number 7, where they raised a family of four children: Vernon Hanson was to take on the tenancy of 7 Haggs Hill Road after his parents died and he lived there with his first wife Gladys Cartwright whom he married in and then later his second wife Elsie Oldroyd whom he married in Michael Hanson and his wife Norma among the dahlias in the garden of 7 Haggs Hill Road in the early s, before a large part of the garden was sold off to build a new house at 5 Haggs Hill Road.

Michael was the last of three generations of Hansons to live at the house.

Halsey - Bad At Love (Official Music Video)

The photograph clearly shows the s blocked up doorways which were 'piece' or 'taking in' doors to facilitate the loading in and out of bulky materials like wool and yarn or taking out finished items such as kerseys and broadcloths. The upper floor of the cottages would have been used by self-employed weavers in the 19th century and wooden steps would then have led up to the access doorways. In the s, Ossett Borough Council compulsory purchased the three or more acres of land referred to as 'Wheatley's Closes' for the development of Towngate.

Wheatley's Closes would have had a significant value as prime residential building land. David established himself as a shopkeeper and cloth maker and in he married Sarah Hirst, They had six children but the first two died in infancy.

His third child, George, was born in and was the father of the children who became the Pickards of Green Mount. Ossett grocer and draper, George Pickard born 9th Aprila Quaker birth married Hannah Mitchell born in and they had four children, two boys and two girls: Sarah, born in ; David born inAndrew born in and Hannah born in The family lived in a cottage, said to be where Green Mount would later be built, at the junction of Southdale Road and The Green.

In their neighbour was John Greenwood, surgeon of Sowood House. George Pickard died in and his wife Hannah died in He was then in partnership with Mark Wilby and they were the co-owners of Manor Mill, Ossett which was used for rag grinding and scribbling.

What you need to know about Healey Road in the town of Ossett

David was still single and living with his unmarried sister Hannah 32 at the Pickard homestead on the Green. Andrew 35 was also single, but had moved to live in lodgings in Leeds where he is described as a "Woollen Manufacturer", with mill premises in Aire Street, Leeds. On 8th May Andrew Pickard purchased " Portions of Green Mount appear to have been freehold, and parts copyhold, land and the latter would have been subject to the customs of the Manor of Wakefield.

This meant that Andrew Pickard and his heirs would require the consent of the Lord of Wakefield prior to any subsequent disposal by way of sale or inheritance of the copyhold parts. On 10th OctoberAndrew Pickard purchased further freehold land adjacent and to the north of Green Mount. Once again the vendors were Charles, Richard and Caroline Wheatley. The area of land was substantial, perhaps as much as 12 acres, known as the Raven Royd and Southdale Close.

In this land was owned by the Haigh family and tenanted by Thomas Moss. By it was occupied by shopkeeper and farmer, Bennett Brook, who subsequently farmed Sowood Farm with his son, Fredrick. Bennett most probably rented the land from the Wheatley family for farming. He was described as David's son. David Pickard died suddenly, aged 52 years, on the 6th July without leaving a will. The administration of his estate was granted to his to his brother Andrew, Aire Street, Leeds.

Andrew Pickard still had the mill at Horbury Bridge. Andrew Pickard had moved to live at Green Mount after his brother's death and he himself was to die on the 18th September whilst holidaying in Llandudno, aged Andrew Pickard did not die in testate like his elder brother and he left the majority of his estate to his sister Hannah Pickard.

However, he also made reference in his will to "George Pickard, the adopted son of my late brother David Pickard deceased" leaving him part of his estate "in trust for when he reaches the age of 21" with his sister Hannah acting as the trustee. Hannah's will was dated 9th June and in it she left Green Mount and "four acres of land bought from Messrs.

Wheatley" by her brother Andrew to young George Pickard, "the Pickard family having lived there for nearly a century past.

The final twist in the story relates to young George Pickard, who as an adopted son of the late David Pickard had inherited a significant fortune and also Green Mount, which Hannah Pickard had left to him, presumably to keep the house in the Pickard family a little longer. George died in the June quarter of aged Justice North presided over a case, which was testing the Wills of the late Hannah and Andrew Pickard on behalf of the heir of the late George Pickard "if he was the lawful child of David Pickard.

Hird, but his relationship to George is unknown as is the outcome of the Chancery court case. The affidavit of William Emslay read that he and the co-trustees three months after Andrew Pickard's death appropriated a certain mortgage, and subsequently paid interest for six months to the legatees. The question was whether the appropriation was properly made. Mr Humphries, for the next of kin, contested the validity of the alleged appropriation.

His Lordship, after reviewing the facts as brought forward, said that the question was simply one of fact, and he could not doubt, as the two surviving trustees both certified to the fact, that the appropriation had been made, thought it would have been more satisfactory if, at the time of making it, some memorandum in writing had been made.

Brewers Pride

In the same transaction Mr Hird also sold 3 acres 3 roods and 30 perches2 of freehold land to Mr Greenwood. This was part of the land purchased by Andrew Pickard inand inherited by Mr. Hird on the death of the illegitimate George Pickard on his death in June Hird to John William Greenwood. However, the Pickard family will be remembered for the huge sums they bequeathed to worthy causes.

Between andfifty-seven lives were saved by the two Peterhead lifeboats each named "George Pickard", which were built after Andrew Pickard generously gave considerable sums of money in his Will for the construction of the five lifeboats to be named after the Ossett Pickard family.

Only two lifeboats were actually built as far as I am aware and both were based at the fishing port of Peterhead, near Aberdeen. George Henry Briggs was the tenant and William Greenwood, the owner. The Briggs family kept a little 'zoo' in what is now the garage of Green Mount where they had birds, a donkey and various other pets. Briggs died in the December quarter of and the family left the house soon afterwards. William Greenwood died on the 20th Januaryaged 48 years, leaving a widow and four daughters under the age of five years.

He died intestate and letters of administration were granted to his wife, Alice. She died inbefore completing the administration. It is not known whether Green Mount was sold in the interim or whether it continued in Greenwood ownership, being rented to tenants.

ByGreen Mount had undergone alterations to provide two dwellings. Spurr lived at number 2 Green Mount. The house was built in by Ossett mill owner David Pickard Green Mount in The building shown above at the side of the house has now been demolished and, as can be seen, another building is being constructed in its place.

Alan Howe November Notes: The Wheatley family from Hopton were wealthy in their own right but may have inherited this land from the Haigh family on the death of the last Haigh of that line in There are 4 roods in an acre and 40 perches in a rood.

This land therefore was almost 4 acres in total. Whitaker was born in West Ardsley in to the same parents as Joseph Whitakerwho was the patriarch of the famous Whitaker dynasty based in Palermo, Sicily. Joshua Whitaker's fine new house was located on New Street in Ossett and he died there on the 30th October aged Whitaker married his first wife Sarah Kaye in the June quarter of in Dewsbury when they were both into middle age.

Sadly, it seems that Sarah Whitaker didn't live long enough to enjoy Croft House and she died in When he was 73, Whitaker married for the second time to 47 year-old spinster Anna Mary Petty on the 25th October in Hornsey, north London.

The couple lived at Croft House after their marriage with three servants: The big house must have seemed empty and more so when the census was taken in April because Joshua Whitaker was staying at the Grand Pump Room Hotel in Bath, apparently without his wife.

There were no children or direct heirs and the house was sold to Ossett millowner William Langley after the death of Whitaker's second wife Anna in under the terms of Joshua Whitaker's will.

William Langley had a mill on Dale Street, next to the Horse and Jockey public house that was demolished in InOssett Borough Council bought the house, cottage and 3. Thousands of Ossett children including me were inoculated there against a myriad of nasty diseases such as whooping cough, polio and measles. The building was finally demolished in April to make way for a new and modern Health Centre. Gartside owned Dewsbury Lane colliery between and and this colliery may have been in the Pildacre area, but the exact location is not known.

The Healey Dye Works was first built in and Gartside himself came from a family of dyers, who it is thought, moved to Ossett from the Huddersfield area in the s. Gartside was unmarried and after his death on the 22nd November at the age of 62, his extensive estate of land in Ossett was kept largely intact until it was auctioned off in Presumably the rental income from the estate was shared among his living family and it is known that his siblings had children.

Gartside's Will was dated 14th Marcha few months before he died and the Will was proved on the 23rd January In the census William Gartside is listed as living on Dewsbury Lane Wesley Streetunmarried with a housekeeper and a servant. At this time, he employed 60 men in his dyeworks and 30 men plus 20 boys in his colliery. Gartside was also the occupier of 40 acres of land in Ossett. Rival local towns such as Morley and Batley had both been given land for public parks and the Local Board of Ossett was proposing to build new offices.

The public meeting was very poorly attended, despite much publicity in the town. The two members of the Local Board who supported the scheme, and organised the meeting, Mr. Eli Townend and Mr. Fothergill had to accept that there was little enthusiasm among Ossett residents and from other Local Board members for their scheme, which was quietly dropped.

Instead, Ossett mungo manufacturer Edward Clay bought the Wesley House estate, and the Clay family have lived there now for over a hundred years. It was noted in an 'Ossett Observer' in that "among those who rented pews at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Wesley Street was William Gartside, who lived opposite in Wesley House, and Edward Clay, the founder of the firm that still bears his name.

Wesley House, Wesley Street pictured in about The couple stood in the left hand doorway are Edward Clay J. Edward Clay was the founder of the Ossett firm of Edward Clay and Sons, Mungo Manufacturers, and the first elected mayor of Ossett in after Ossett was incorporated as a Borough on the 16th July He was elected mayor again in and had served as Chairman of the Local Board of Health in and again in He was president of the Chamber of Commerce and a Guardian of the Poor, one of the first Borough Magistrates and took a prominent part in public life for many years.

The boy in the right hand doorway is Edward Wilson Claytheir grandson. Tennis courts at the rear of Wesley House, Wesley Street about The gentleman enjoying his pipe and seated at the left of the picture is John Arthur Clay and immediately to his right is his wife Annie Lois Clay nee Wilson, The lady with the white hat is Hilda Mary Wilson and the lady on the right is also Hilda Mary Wilson nee Pemberton,the wife of Ossett artist Eli Marsden Wilson and the sister-in-law of the other two ladies in the picture.

He started off as a hand loom weaver and later started off in business as a rag merchant and mungo manufacturer.

The business that Edward Clay started is still in existence today in Wesley Street as Edward Clay and Son, flock and mattress filling manufacturers. The business was carried on first by Edward Wilson Clay and, after his death in by his sons and grandsons.

Lodge had her corset business in George Jessop was part of the of well-known Ossett firm of Messrs. Sadly, George Jessop was to die in Mayat the early age of 53 from Russian influenza, just a few days before "Green Lea" was finally completed. Jessop's widow Martha Jessop nee Fawcett and their three children: Martha Jessop was to die in and ownership of the house was passed on to son Arthur Jessop, who lived at "Green Lea" until InArthur Jessop sold the house to Mrs.

The Smiths lived at Denholme Drive in Ossett in and after buying "Green Lea" instayed there until the s. Green Lea inset in a commanding position overlooking the Calder valley. My thanks to Greg and Sue May, present owners of "Green Lea" for details of the history of the house.

Later, Sykes merged with other sporting goods manufacturers to become Slazengers. It is not known whether William Sykes Ltd. Whether Woodheads intended to use the house for office accommodation is not clear, but they were to sell the house again in May to Mrs.

Phillips was the principal director of C.

Beer meets its match on menu

He was also interested in coal mining, and at one time financed the colliery company, which worked a small mine at Runtlings Lane. Charles Philips was deeply involved in local public life. He was chairman of Ossett magistrates around the turn of the 19th century; the secretary of the old Mechanic's Institute in ; member of the old Board of Surveyors in ; vice chairman in ; chairman of the Local Board in and ; the first president of the Chamber of Commerce; the provisional Mayor of Ossett in ; a former trustee and treasurer of the White Cloth Hall in Leeds and also a West Riding Magistrate.

She was the daughter of the Mr. Thomas Tolson, carpet manufacturer, Flushdyke. His only son, Mr. Phillips, an ex-mayor of Ossett, who lived at Mallin House, Ossett, died in aged However, the business at Whitley Spring Mill, Flushdyke was continued after the death of the two principals. West Wells House in its heyday circa The lady on the left is Margaret Smith nee Buckett who purchased West Wells House in aboutshortly after her marriage to Ossett shoddy manufacturer Reginald Smith, who had premises on Intake Lane.

Part of Smith's factory on Intake Lane can still be seen today. The public well for the area was located to the right of the rear entrance of West Wells House, behind the pinfold. It was finally concreted over about after falling into disuse.

Brook's Mill was also part of the West Wells property and there was a Gate House which was at the entrance to the old orchard, which was demolished sometime in the s. West Wells House pictured in The houses on the left were built in the old grounds of the house by the then owners, the Smith family in the s.

Tony lived at West Wells House between and and has been kind enough to provide the two pictures of the house shown here. It was probably built in the s for the Bentley family who occupied the house for almost 70 years until Elder House was demolished in the late s or the early s when consent was granted, infor the development of sixteen detached dwellings to be built on the Elder House estate.

This is the story of the Bentley and Rose families who lived at Elder House for almost years. InWilliam was living on Ossett Green with his parents. His father was a molecatcher and William was an agricultural labourer. Annie was baptised in South Ossett on 1st January Bythe couple had three children: InElizabeth and her three children, aged 7, 5, and 1 year-old, were living on Ossett Low Common with her 66 year old widowed mother, Grace Wilby. The record shows that Elizabeth, a dressmaker, was married but her husband, William, is not recorded in the household.

The William Bentley born was living with his parents, and siblings on Albert Street and working as a farmer and gardener. These cottages were located on Albert Street where William was living in By this time Annie was working as a burler and Thomas, aged 15 years, was a steam crane engine driver.

Just as it was inthere is no sign of William in the household, or elsewhere, in Sadly, the infant, Percy John, died in Summershortly before his second birthday. Elizabeth Wilby Bentley of Elder House passed away less than a year later, on 8th Marchaged only 44 years. It is said that in life so it is in death, and so, just as there was no obvious sign of William Bentley in the or Bentley household, he appears not to be buried in the Baptist Lane grave which is the resting place of his wife and two of his children.

Annie married building contractor, William Henry Kershaw in Summer and moved to live on Park Square and so byand inonly Thomas and Joseph, both rag merchants and latterly mungo manufacturers, and Emily the housekeeper were living at their Teall Street address.

Joseph died there on 20 April and probate was granted to his wife, Florence Mary and, his daughter, Emily Mabelle Elizabeth Westwood. Thomas Wilby Bentley subsequently became Ossett's mayor for two years between and His election as Mayor by his colleagues suggests that he would have held the office of Councillor of the Borough for several years prior to He is shown in the following picture at his mayoral ceremony at Ossett Town Hall, unusually without his top hat.

Thomas Wilby Bentley never married, and is shown in the picture with his younger sister Emily, who was his mayoress. Thomas Wilby Bentley in his Mayoral chains, with his spinster sister, Emily alongside. Thomas was also Chairman of Governors at Ossett Grammar School from until shortly before his death in His spinster sister, Emily, born latecontinued to live at Elder House until her death, aged 77 years, on 26 June It appears that Emily Bentley left funds to enable the provision of accommodation for people less fortunate than herself.

The Almshouses, operated by Anchor Housing Association provide unsupported amenity housing in four apartments for prospective residents who have preferably lived in the borough of Ossett for two years. A fitting tribute to the memory of a family who themselves had suffered hardship. Emily Bentley Almshouses, Teall Street, on the right of the picture. Although Emily Bentley died inquite possibly at Elder House, it was October before Ossett Borough Council acquired land for the site of the houses for which she left a bequest.

He was born in Rotherham inmarried Annie Frear in the Sheffield area in late and the couple had three sons, including twins. He was also a keen cricketer in his youth and a member of Yorkshire Cricket Club for most of his life. Dr Rose was recorded in Wakefield, Newstead Road, from about when he was appointed as consultant pathologist to the Wakefield Group of Hospitals: He had earlier held similar appointments at Sheffield and Wolverhampton where his twin sons were born shortly before his move to Wakefield.

Shortly afterwards, inhe was first recorded with a Teall Street address, namely "Sherwood Mount. Bearing in mind the setting of the house, the name Sherwood may have seemed appropriate. In October an application was made for planning consent for residential development of the 1. The application was approved in July and in February consent was granted for the felling of 26 trees and the crown raising of trees adjacent to the access and dwelling at Elder House, Teall Street.

In April consent was granted for the erection of 16 detached dwellings with private garages on the Elder House Estate, Teall Street and thereafter applications were made for the erection of individual properties with the last one recorded in October Dr Wynyard Lionel Rose died on the 15th Mayaged 76 years. It is not certain how long before his death he continued to live at Elder House or the precise date when the house was demolished.

It seems likely though that the demolition would be the late s or early s. The extensive, unfenced, seemingly empty, remote and heavily wooded location was a popular haunt, in more ways than one, as fiction got the better of fact. As is often the case there was truth in some of these rumours. After all, Dr Rose was a Pathologist. This latter dwelling built on Park Lane, the road running from Storrs Hill Road into Ossett Academy, was built in and demolished in the late s.

The listed Sowood Farm House which dates fromstill stands there today, probably on the site of an earlier building.

Ossett - Wikipedia

The two remaining dwellings which carry the name, Sowood House, in the 21st Century include one which was built about and is situated off Sowood Lane4 near the junction with Manor Road. The remaining dwelling, and the subject of this research, is the Sowood House which stands on The Green, at the junction with Healey Road once Healey Lane. From the style of the architecture, it is believed that Sowood House was built in three stages.

The most recent is the front, which is estimated by Dr. John Stoker to be about years old, and which would accord with the advertisement from the 2nd March shown below.

The section to the north is probably some years old and the section to the south is the oldest at about years old. Sowood House pictured in The levels of the upper floor are all different, that to the front is the highest, the middle section is some 8 inches lower, and the oldest section a further 3 inches below that. The window styles are all different; whilst all were replaced in aboutthe original shapes and styles were retained with the exception of the northern section which had originally sash windows.

Accepting that there are three sections explains why there are 2 halls. The larger is in the northern, middle age, section which brings the three sections together, whilst the front, most recent, section has a smaller hall of its own, leading in to the larger one.

The oldest section has an extensive cellar system, arranged for domestic cooking purposes and exposed beams originally enclosed in the upper floor ceilings. Sowood House is believed5 to date, in part, to the early 18th Century, but its history as a home and workplace for generations of medical doctors dates from, a little later, in the s.

It was then that John Greenwood and his wife and cousin, Jane Greenwood6, were recorded in Ossett and shortly after he purchased Sowood House from the administrators of bankrupt Ossett clothier, John Wilson. Sale notice in "The Leeds Intelligencer", 2nd March As early as John Greenwood was practising medicine in Ossett, quite possibly at Sowood House, but, apart from his acquisition of the House shortly after March the first documentary evidence appears in and when he was described as a surgeon.

Joshua Haigh and Charles Wheatley were key players in 18th and 19th Century Ossett land and property ownership. The Greenwoods own lineage was also well documented. The Land Tax mentions, for the first time, a Mr Greenwood, the title is applied to a person of some standing. It is known that John Greenwood was practising medicine in that year. John Greenwood and his wife, Jane, had seven children from their marriage and the eldest surviving son, George Greenwood took over the Sowood House practice when his father, and his mother, died in However George was living elsewhere on The Green in and he died in aged 63 years.

Over the years he had established a significant land holding and the Ossett Tithe Award11 records him as the owner of more than 50 acres in the Healey Lane and Sowood area. In he had also became a qualified midwife and by he was described as a General Practitioner, Midwife and Apothecary.

John William married Mary Thompson in and at least five children were born to the marriage including four sons. All of the children were born in the s and all remained in Ossett after achieving their qualifications. Effectively this converted his copyhold interest into a freehold interest in the properties and the Lord of the Manor would no longer hold sway over what John William or his heirs did with the properties.

John William Greenwood, by then a widower, was living at Sowood House even though he had moved to Scarborough in about in but the head of the house was his son, George Spencer Greenwood. The early 20th Century was unkind to the Greenwood family. John William, died in July and his only daughter, Nora, aged 36 years, died five weeks later in early September A year later, in OctoberGeorge Spencer Greenwood, a bachelor, died, aged only Inseventeen different churches were recorded in Ossett, excluding "spiritualist churches".

Trinity Church is one of the two Anglican churches in the town. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church was built in The Salvation Army is the only church in Gawthorpe. Ossett Trinity, the local rugby league club, resigned from the Rugby League Conference in Ossett Cricket Club also play at Dimplewells.

The Heavy Woollen District has its own cricket association and its own cricket team. Residents of Ossett are eligible to play for the Heavy Woollen District team.

Ossett hosts two semi-professional football teams, both currently playing in the Northern Premier League Division One North: In Februarythe two clubs announced an agreement to merge under the name Ossett United. Ossett has a free magazine The Ossett Review [30] established in July Ossett Beercart takes place on the first weekend of June.

Ossett Gala takes place in July. The turning on of the Christmas lights is another focal point for the community, along with the fire station's bonfire on the Friday evening nearest to 5 November. Ossett was defined as "wheeare the' black-leead t'tram lines" in both A Yorkshireman's Dictionary by Peter Wright and The Yorkshire Dictionary by Arnold Kellett, although neither book gives any explanation for this.

One interpretation is that it was mocking the town's heavy pollution when it was industrialised. Another is that Ossett people were seen as fussy and pedantic. From Austin Mitchell 's Talkin' Yorkshire page In moments of extreme anger Ossett fish-puddlers have been known to resent "thou" and reply "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing" but this is rare.

Ossett is the home of Wakefield Orchestral Wind WOWan orchestral wind band with a varied repertoire including popular film music, show music, big band, classical and their conductor's own arrangements. Ossett is defined in the " Meaning of liff " as "a frilly spare-toilet-roll-cosy" Notable people[ edit ] This article's list of residents may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies.

Please improve this article by removing names that do not have independent reliable sources showing they are notable AND residents, or by incorporating the relevant publications into the body of the article through appropriate citations. May The astronomer Cyril Jackson —who moved to South Africa, was born in Ossett, honoured the town when he named asteroid Deira ; the citation he submitted to the IAU boils down to "Ancient name of Ossett, Yorkshire".

Benjamin Ingham — founder of the Inghamite Methodists was born in Ossett. Inafter his return to Ossett, Ingham started to establish the Inghamite Methodists after being banned in from preaching in churches.

By there were over eighty Inghamite congregations, mainly in Yorkshire and Lancashire. The first picture Wilson exhibited at the R. There is a copy of "Ossett Market" by E. Wilson on display in Wakefield Art Gallery. Thomas Cussons chemist first established the 'Cussons' personal care brand in Ossett. The initials of Thomas' eldest son John W. Cussons — can still be found on the wall of the original building, now the Yorkshire Bank on Station Road.